Monday, March 7, 2011

Pregnant: What to do when my boyfriend lives on a different continent


Pregnant: What to do when my boyfriend lives on a different continent?
So, I first met my boyfriend while we were both in Germany. I was there as an exchange student (I'm American) and he was visiting relatives (he's Austrian). We were just casual acquaintances/friends at first, but then things escalated at a slow pace. Fast forward nine years. I'm done with my education and I have a job. I visit my fella, or he visits me, whenever we can afford it in both time and money. We've been considering marriage at this point, but neither of us has quite worked out such details as what country we'd both be willing to live in. The last time he visited me was in August. Just a couple of days back I found that I'm nine weeks pregnant, and he's gone back home. I have no idea how to tell him, especially since I plan on keeping the baby. He's a good person and has been absolutely loyal, but I know that while the fact that I'm pregnant might not be distressing on its own, he's not going to like it that both his kid and their mother lives on an entirely different continent and that he can't spend as much time as he likes with his family. I need a good way to tell him, but I also need to know what legal issues might arise because of the fact that neither of us is a legal resident of the other's country (which might complicate child support/custody issues), as well as the fact that our child will likely be a dual citizen. I don't know much about how family law works in Austria and what rights my boyfriend has for our baby, which contributes to the problem. Help?
Pregnancy - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am not sure about anything except that if things don't work out you will want to look into the laws of the country because it is likely he could take your child and you would have little or no ability to get the child back. I am sure you can work it out but you should talk to a lawyer to make sure you understand all you need to.
2 :
My recommendation would be to contact the US consulate in Austria before you tell him because they would be likely to be able to answer all the necessary questions you may have. That way you'll be able to go over the details of residency and so on which should make things easier for the both of you. Calling him and telling him with no idea as to what to expect will just be more stressful. Tel.: (+43-1) 31339-0 E-mail: embassy@usembassy.at
3 :
to know about the legal issues you'll have to speak to someone who really knows! but I think once the shock wears off that you are pregnant he will want to come to the US and live with his newly formed family. I wish my son's father lived in another continent!