Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I can only go to certain websites that will always work, but most will not.


I can only go to certain websites that will always work, but most will not.?
I am in a hotel in Austria using their in-room internet. For some reason, i can't connect to certain websites. For example, www.yahoo.com works great, but www.sherdog.com does not. Gmail works fine, but I can't connect to hotmail. I have pinged those domains from a command prompt and i get perfect replies from the sites that work and the sites that don't time out. www.sherdog is an interesting one because I lost 2 of the packets and 2 came back fine. This is consistent with what happens when I go there with the browser, the page loads sometimes, and sometimes not. www.twoplustwo.com works great, but forumserver.twoplustwo.com doesn't work at all, same when I ping. I think this has something to do w/ being in Europe, the IP they gave me is 10.59.1.94. I think there is an issue with my subnet mask and/or default gateway but I don't know enough about it to know. My settings are all an automatic. Please help me from here... ya, i can ping the sites i can get to, but i can't ping the sites i CAN"T get to...there is no proxy set up on my browser or computer, this issue is specific to the internet here at the hotel, i can take it across the street to a coffee shop and it works fine... this issue occurs with all 3 browsers on my computer, firefox, IE, and safari. here are the ping results so far www.imdb.com works fine www.yahoo.com works fine www.twoplustwo.com works fine www.myspace.com fails www.hotmail.com works fine www.live.mail.com (where hotmail instantly redirects) fails www.united.com fails www.lycos.com works fine www.google.com works fine www.craigslist.org fails www.wikipedia.org is intermittent www.expedia.com fails www.cnn.com fails www.foxnews.com works fine by "works fine" i mean i get 4 quick replies from the ping and the website loads as it should, by "fails" i mean the ping request times out 4 times and the webpage fails to load. I notice that a lot of the sites that won't load have an IP of 169.X.X.X however not always, i haven't picked up on the pattern yet...someone help me out here...thanks i don't think its a hotel policy because my colleague using the same network can go to any website just fine...i think its a glitch with the default gateway it automatically assigns me...which is 10.203.1.1 but it might be a DNS issue, i don't know...thats why I need help. put it this way, if you dont' think you know the answer and are just randomly guessing, you probably don't, I thank you for your input, but the person who knows what the issue is, will know EXACTLY what it is based on the info I've provided....thanks again
Other - Internet - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
2
2 :
try to use btunnel.net for proxy
3 :
If you can ping the host then there's not problem with the ip settings, gateway or dns on your system. Check to see if your browser is set to use a proxy as it sounds as though there's a problem with actually getting the web page not with connecting to the remote host.
4 :
Is it that your hotel/hotel's ISP allow you to only access a limited number of websites (or only popular websites)?