Sunday, June 7, 2009

I am a US citizen in the process of marrying a EU member in Austria. We want to live and work in france


I am a US citizen in the process of marrying a EU member in Austria. We want to live and work in france?
Am I able to get a work permit to France if we marry in Austria? Is it better for us to get married in France instead? I know that I am able to live there, but I would like to also work. To clarify my partner is Austrian.
Immigration - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I can't read enoug French to verify this, but my understanding is that the details vary but the basic rules are the same in every EU country. If you are the spouse of an EU national the EU national can move to any EU nation and reside and work there, complying with registration formalities after the first 90 days. The spouse of an EU national has the right to accompany their spouse, reside, and work in that nation as well. A non EEA/EU national spouse may be subject to different registration formalities but it is my understanding that they too are allowed to work. It would be good to confirm this with a French consulate.
2 :
This is something you would need to discuss with the Austrian and French embassy-they can clarify the current rules for you.