Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Moving to Austria: What should an English-speaking American do about jobs, college, getting settled, etc


Moving to Austria: What should an English-speaking American do about jobs, college, getting settled, etc?
I want to move to Austria for a year, perhaps even permanently. I'm 20 and currently have an Associates Degree in Social Science. (I know It isn’t much, but I figure it's helpful if I give a few details about myself.) I'm only fluent in English; I am in the process of learning German but am by no means fluent in it. It is giving me a lot of trouble, I fear I won't fully understand it until I've lived around it. Now I'm aware that you need a visa to live in another country for any long period of time. I also know that in order to gain citizenship in another country you generally have to live there for several years; in Austria I believe it’s five years. What I don’t know is about working and school. I'll need money to live obviously. I'm sure I can find a place to stay, but would an English-speaking American even be able to find a job? If so, what suggestions do you have as to where to look? Also, are there any English-speaking schools I could attend? Any advice or facts would be great!
Immigration - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No. Your only hope is to stay in the US.
2 :
I am not sure why you would want to move there I think you will find the barriers to employment are very high for you and being a nongerman speaker you will not be socially accepted